Sunday, January 8, 2012

Placement of the Spear..

In all the miniatures and dioramas I make, I seek to be as historically accurate as possible.  I am sure I am more than half off on most, but on those I do know, I do right.  This brings me to the discussion on placement of the spear.

For aesthitic reasons, generally the spear is placed center in the hand...this balances the miniature out and is what most are accustomed to seeing; however, in actual battle, before the spear was thrown, they would move their hand to the front one-third or even one-quarter of the spear.  A spear thrown from the middle is a very inaccurate spear, however, the closer a spear is thrown to the tip, the more accurate (and very accurate at that) it will be.  This is because of the weight of the spear head of course.

I have placed the spear center on some (just because it does "look" better), but do try to make most with again historic accuracy, and place hand more towards the tip of the spear.  I have used "Valdemar Gudrun" to display a historically accurate "throw".  (By the way, this setting was also the first attempt to make my own "bushes" - in hindsight, since the flock is lighter, I should porabably have painted the limbs of the bushes darker to add more contrast.)


No comments:

Post a Comment