Sunday, January 29, 2012

Dalig Ulv...

OK, the story behind this miniature warrants more than just a "Miniature of the Moment" headline...

Dalig Ulv, meaning "Bad Wolf"...it is also the location of where Rose Tyler lasts sees the Doctor...but to that in a moment.  When I saw this miniature, he just reminded me of the Big Bad Wolf, and as "Big Bad Wolf" for a name didn't quite have the right ring, timing was fortunate on the Doctor Who episode to be "Dalig Ulv", or Bad Wolf.  And the name stuck.

There was never, and may never be, a more sad moment in all of television history when, in order to save the world (actually universe), the Doctor had to leave Rose in a parallel universe, unable to reach her.  The only consolation was a 45 second meeting made possible by the Doctor, but only as a hologram...and in the last waning minutes of their time together, Rose finally tells the Doctor, "I Love You"...and the Doctor replies, "Rose Tyler..." and the hologram disappears forever, Rose never knowing what the Doctor was going to say to her.

Now, you have to watch the first two seasons of Rose and the Doctor to get the full effect of the event, but for those who still want to see it (will of course not be as moving), here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DSrBE9aiKc&feature=related (approximately 5 minutes)




So if you watched the Doctor Who link you may see where I get the "Bad Wolf" name from.  And my favorite episode of Doctor Who?  "Vincent and the Doctor" of course...the episode where the Doctor and Amy Pond go back in time to visit Vincent van Gogh...but that is a story for another time.

As for the second saddest moment in Television history, and no, it's not Old Yeller (I think I am over my childhood trauma on that one) - it is when Beth dies in Little Women...

No comments:

Post a Comment