Sunday, January 22, 2012

Epic Fail...

You know the blue tape you buy for painting...the kind that is supposed to keep paint from leaking onto another color, door, or wood?  It doesn't work.

In working on a diorama of Jesus walking on the water, I had the ingenious idea of using Painter's Tape around my diorama, so that when I poured the Realistic Water (yeah, Realistic Water and me aren't meshing...) it would contain it.  I expected some leaks, but thought this could easily be remedied by just firmly pressing on the tape where the leak was occurring and it would self-seal.  Realistic Water is much like the consistency of paint, so the rational was, if it works for paint, it will work for this.  Wrong.

I had the "Sea of Galilee" pouring everywhere, over the printer, on to the carpet, sticking to my fingers.  It quickly became the "Flood of Noah" but I don't have miniatures ready for that one.  It was almost completely drained and looked like the "Marsh of Galilee" after about 15 minutes.  Lesson learned.  God can make seas, I cannot : )

Back to the drawing board on this one.  Once (what is left) it is set, it should not leak next time around, but I will add a lower, second set of Painter's tape just in case.  You think?

...by the way, did I mention I had used blue food coloring in the Realistic Water too...

No comments:

Post a Comment