Saturday, June 30, 2012

Art Forgers...

How does one go from Anime to Art Forgery?...well, it's called only three channels and Netflix!  And I should add, all three channels are PBS...

Just watched a show called History's Detectives, about art forgery.  In the episode, a forger had successfully painted a "1795" painting of George Washington...in 1939!

This got me thinking about the fallacy of art (hmmm...who knows, I might actually get my first comment on this one!)

Art is only valued because someone said it was worth something...think about it.  There are thousands of great artists and paintings out there, but what separates them?  Because someone felt they were better than another...not necessarily that they are (and in most cases, they are not)

Herein lies the fallacy of art, and the ode goes to the forger in this case, for pointing out the ignorance and gullibility of mankind.

If another artist can paint a Rembrandt, a Picasso, or any other "famous" painting...then what made that painting famous and valuable in the first place, is no longer true (hmmm...maybe that is really way the art world detest a forger...because it points out to them that they've been believing a lie).

Let me expound...

If Denton (a well known art forger) can paint (in this case) a Stuart painting and fool the populace...then why does Stuart get the accolades, when Denton's painting was just as good (or maybe better, eh?)  Why did Stuart become famous, and not Denton?  There are many paintings well worth over $1 million...while homeless are starving.  Yet that same painting, can be duplicated...or made better?   It is not the forgery that lowers the value of the original...it is the enlightening of some to realize that value is truly in the eye of the beholder.

Now, take gold for example...technically it is just a rock that someone said was valuable...but hey, what do I know...I used to buy just a "hamburger", but now I get a "deluxe hamburger"...they both taste the same, I just pay more because someone said it was that way...

...and again I say...think about it : P

No comments:

Post a Comment